Fall 2016 Classes
- All classes meet for 8 weeks on Mondays at the Ananda Dallas Meditation and Yoga Center Sept 26 through Nov 28 (no classes on Oct 10 or Nov 21)
- Registration is closed.
- Yearly registration fee per family $30.
- After Sept 19, class fees non-refundable
- Learn more about our instructors
- Questions? Contact email@example.com
How to Register:
Step 2: Enroll in individual classes below ” á la carte.”
Math is an essential skill that we all use in our daily lives. Many people say math is difficult and they can’t do it. I’m here to counter this thought process, help students understand math, make it more fun, and help the student feel confident in their math ability. In this class we’ll cover any pre-algebra or algebra that the student is working on in their individual curriculum. Students may be put in small groups or work individually, all under the teacher’s supervision and instruction, based on the class needs. The students will be given enrichment and encouraged to go above and beyond. Students will be given small assignments to work on each week to maintain competency. Class will meet once a week for an hour. Why Should You Take This Course:
- individualized help for each student
- knowledge and guidance from an experienced teacher
- increased confidence in math
Fee for Algebra course: $175, $200 after Sept 12 Payment Options: Pay in full now or pay half and make payment for second half within 30 days. Upon payment for class your seat will be reserved and additional details will be provided.
In this overstimulated, increasingly electronic culture we live in, we are all exposed to stresses that simply didn’t exist even a decade ago. Yoga combined with meditation practices is the perfect “hygiene” for our nervous systems. Research has shown that these practices can increase concentration, critical thinking, creativity, and overall well-being. In this class students will learn and practice yoga skills that will serve them not only now but for their entire lifetimes.
Prerequisites: the willingness to learn!
Materials: Bring your own yoga mat
Fee for Yoga and Meditation for Kids course: $60
Payment Options: Pay in full now or pay half and make payment for second half within 30 days.Upon payment for class your seat will be reserved and additional details will be provided.
Writing is an essential skill that must be cultivated respectively. Unlike speaking, writing gets complicated from the get go when a child is faced to put an idea into words and then the words onto paper. While it sounds uncomplicated, young writers need time and practice to become fluent in writing and how to construct writing. In this class we’ll cover pre-rhetoric skills in organization, outlining, sentence structure, points of view, narrative summaries, biographical sketches, sequences and note taking. Students will learn how to write with skill by using imitation and analysis of great writers of the classics including composition exercises in history, science, biography and literature. Time in class will be spent on lessons, reviewing work, sharing writings with each other, requiring students to participate actively. Students will be required to write each day between class, submitting outlines, summaries, and narratives weekly. Once a week meetings in small class size, the instructor will be available to students outside of class time during office hours for questions and guidance. Weekly writing assignments review and feedback.
- Sentence structures
- Narrative Summaries
- Scientific Descriptions
- Chronological Narratives of a Scientific Discovery
- Description of a Person
- Using Metaphors
- Learn how to receive and want constructive feedback to make your writing better
Why Should You Take This Course:
- Acquire the skill of writing essential for short and long-term success into your current homeschool, life learning, relationships, work, college and beyond
- Learn to write better, communicate and express your message to others more clearly
- If your reluctant to write, just getting started or even want to improve your writing skills while receiving group and mentor support
Note from the instructor, Donna: I’m providing this opportunity in a small environment incorporating group learning and self-education practices in a mentor style that nurtures your child to writing successfully. This is not a classroom-led approach but each student will be expected to complete and turn in assignments. I’ll always meet your child where they stand and nurture them to grow in knowledge, skill and confidence.
Text and Materials: Course of Study (provided) Writing Text (provided) Notebook, 8 dividers, notebook paper, pen/pencil Laptops welcome, if you prefer
Fee for Expository Writing Course: $175 / additional $25 text Payment
Options: Pay in full now or pay half and make payment for second half within 30 days.(returning students bring text from previous class) Upon payment for class your seat will be reserved and additional details will be provided.
This is a nature study and journaling class focusing on experiencing nature, awareness, collecting, drawing, journaling and the practice of mindfulness for connection and quality of living. We will journey through our connection to nature as human beings, awaken to wondrous natural world through observation, collection, drawing and journaling, look deeper into nature to the unfolding of the diversity of life, create individual practices to integrate into everyday living with long-term goal in mind, use these practices and nature to manage stress and challenges that arise in everyday living and how nature can help us better express our depth of purposeful living. Weekly time in nature, as well as collection between classes, will be encouraged.
Why Should You Take This Course:
- Realize the depth of necessity nature plays in our everyday life
- Learn to journal, draw and express better creatively
- Become skillful at navigating and managing every day busyness, stress and challenges with skill learned in this class
Text and Materials: Course of Study (provided) Text, References (provided) Nature Journal (provided) Pencil, pen, colored pencils, eraser, glue stick, one roll double-stick tape, carry all in a bag that can be easily brought on excursions into nature. Also, feel free to bring camera or use the one on phone or ipod/device to collect images.
Fee for The Natural World and Mindfulness Course: $85, $100 after Sept 12 / plus $20 journal/supplies
Payment Options: Pay in full now or pay half and make payment for second half within 30 days. Upon payment for class your seat will be reserved and additional details will be provided.
GEMUN is an excellent hands-on approach to learning in a global context. Together in this class, students select a member country of the UN and study it in depth. They look at culture, politics, environment, arts and science, geology etc., of that particular country. It is as if they become a citizen of the country selected! Students create a visual display of their country for the conference. At the same time, they study the workings of the UN and it various committees and functions while also mastering the “language” of the UN. This is accomplished in class as well as through practice sessions that occur throughout the year combined with other delegations. This preparation culminates in a two-day Model United Nations session at nearby Brookhaven College, May 12-13th. Students immensely enjoy the collegiate setting while participating in the GEMUN conference. Due to the authentic nature of the material and assignments, they see direct application of the information to their daily lives, the problems in the world and their surrounding environment. By role-playing delegates to the United Nations, young people from varied backgrounds learn about other countries, cultures, and international relationships, while developing a global perspective on real issues confronting the world community today, and acquiring many transferable, critical thinking skills. Learn more about GEMUN here: http://www.gemun.org https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXEi1-nNjyc
- Learn in depth about a specific country and its role in the context of our global community
- Understand more completely the complexity of global issues from different perspectives
- Understand the dynamics and role of the United Nations
- Develop more fully writing and critical thinking skills
- Develop more fully the art of constructive dialogue and public debate
- Promotes awareness of global issues, current events and other cultures
- Develops transferable skills
- Sharpens leadership, communication and public speaking skills
- Encourages understanding of geography
- Demonstrates the importance of exchanging ideas and cooperating in pursuit of common goals
- Sparks independent motivation
- Educates youth in the activities of the United Nations’ System
- Provides opportunity to role-play representatives of a nation’s government and interests
- Initiates constructive interchange on diverse world issues
- Facilitates opportunity for peer interaction
- Best of all, students have FUN while all these educational benefits are taking place!
- Must be able to attend BOTH days of the GEMUN conference (Friday and Saturday, May 12-13th) as well as at least one Saturday morning practice session during the year (dates to be announced)
- Pages- ability to read
- Delegates- reading and writing basics, and interest in public speaking
Recommended Text and Materials:
- GEMUN conference registration (provided)
- Course Manual, References (provided)
- Sponsor Registration (provided)
- Display Supplies (provided)
Fee for GEMUN course: $60 / plus $35 conference registration, manual, sponsor & supplies Payment
Options: Pay in full now or pay half and make payment for second half within 30 days. Upon payment for class your seat will be reserved and additional details will be provided.